While there is no such thing as the perfect landing page, there are key ingredients you can use to make your landing pages an award-winning recipe of success. Landing pages are a key element in a conversion path. A conversion path is a navigational route for visitors of your website to become leads. Conversion paths are a tactic of inbound marketing and are mission-critical to getting leads for construction companies.
A landing page contains many elements but its marketing purpose is to capture leads. A visitor becomes a lead at the point they fill out the form on your landing page. So the actionable goal of a landing page is get visitors to fill out your form. If this process sounds complicated, just visualize this:
- Someone shows up and reads your blog.
- They like it. Yay!
- They head over to your landing page and see what else you’re offering.
- They fill out a form to get your offer.
What separates a good landing page from a not so good one is measured by the page’s conversion rate: The number of visitors who fill out your form vs. the ones who simply view your page and then leave. So it’s logical that we’d want to create absolutely the best looking and most functional landing pages to maximize your visitors to leads conversion rate.
Obtaining better conversion rates for landing pages requires both an overall and a micro strategy
By overall, I mean mainly a visitor’s impression of your page once they land on it. The first and best rule of creating a landing page is that the landing page must solve, not promote, not sell, not coerce. If you don’t have a vision to solve, to be helpful, then your conversion path will work poorly, if hardly at all. Let’s see how this overall purpose to solve works out in the basic elements of a conversion path.
Key strategy of an inbound conversion path:
- Attract and solve. You publish blog articles to attract visitors who are searching the web to solve questions or pain points they have. Your blog articles (and the rest of your website's content) helps solve for them.
- Offer more. Each blog article contains a call-to-action (CTA). A CTA is link text or a graphic image that links to premium content on your website. A CTA’s purpose is to say, “Hey, we’ve got even more and better solutions for you!”
- Solve at a deeper level. The CTA links to a landing page which describes a premium content offer. The free offer will help provide more information and thus be of even greater value to your prospect.
I view the micro strategy of a landing page simply as its many elements working together. Have a look at this infographic KissMetrics created. It has all the key elements that should be found in any good landing page.
Landing pages fail when all the key elements do not align with the central purpose of the page. What’s the main purpose? Let's review, because if there's just one take-way, this is it. Provide the best answer to the following self-test question:
Answers number 1-3 are good answers. Number 4 is impossible because visitors become leads only after they fill out the form. The correct answer is number 2. Even though the result of your landing page will be to acquire more leads and better marketing ROI, your main goad is to solve. My point is, if you position yourself to be a lead-grabber, you’ll get that concept planted in your head and fail. If you have lead-grabber persons doing your marketing, you need to fix that asap!
- First, you absolutely must only think of assisting your website visitors with the issues they need to solve. Help solve, and you’ll get leads.
- You must create conversion paths on your website to get any leads other than those bottom of the funnel leads how fill out our contact form. These people already have decided to buy, which is great, but what about all the others who are at early stages of their buyer’s journey?
- A landing page is yet one more avenue for you to help.
- A landing page must have all the elements of a good landing page, can be smart, catchy, creative, or even fun, but its foremost purpose is an assist.
- Position yourself to help and prospects will be delighted to buy from you.