Within the last few years, new software-driven marketing trends for construction companies not only have revolutionized lead generation methods but they are now producing more positive ROI.Propelled by the Internet, the way people now choose to engage you has changed from being pushed to being led, from reading to visualizing, from being sold to being educated. Because customers have more opportunities to learn from sources on the Internet, they are more educated. 68% are likely to spend time reading content from a familiar brand (source: CMA).
The basic supply chain principles have not changed. What’s changed is the audience engagement – and this means PR, marketing, advertising, and customer service. Do you remember 5 – 10 years ago the acceptable SLA for responding to a customer’s email was 24 hours? Today it’s 5 minutes.
Because of these construction industry trends, we need a new playbook to take advantage of the massive ROI potential furnished by the Internet.
“Smarketing” = Sales + Marketing
Or better, the integration of sales and marketing. What would happen if you told both your sales and marketing departments, “We’re now going to get along.”
The Silo Effect refers to the disconnected efforts and techniques used by sales and marketing. Time to get rid of the solos and get everyone working together!
For Smarketing to work:
- Each team needs to have clearly set SLAs and goals. (How to do this).
- What constitutes an MQL and an SQL need to be defined – clearly.
- All teams need to be in frequent communication with each other. This means frequent meetings between sales and marketing.
- Metrics, especially closed-loop reporting needs to be in place so marketing can get a better understanding of the funnel and how to improve it.
- Sales and marketing must share the same CRM to insure both departments are aligned with the customer journey.
2) Personalization and Smart Content
While generic email marketing may seem dead, personalization is not. Marketers who are using personalization are seeing nearly a 20% uptick in sales, according to Monetate.
Even in an age of heightened privacy concerns, prospects expect personalized communication from you. Why? Because they first reached out to you. They filled out a form on your website or supplied personal information via a survey or other legitimate means of contact between them and your company.
Here’s what to do to maximize ROI from personalization:
- Personalize email correspondence using only a first name in the address field.
- Segment email lists according to where they are in the funnel, and a host of other parameters.
- Add “smart CTAs” so that visitors are not presented the landing page they first converted on, but are presented with new a content offer.
- Set up workflows to automate email responses when leads interact with you on your website.
3) Automation and Lead Intelligence
Marketing automation is the preferred way to bring leads through the funnel where they eventually can become customers.
Marketing automation can enhance:
- Social Media Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Lead Generation
- Lead Nurturing
- Metrics and Analytics
- Management Activities
In our age today, content and customer experience are driving factors in marketing for construction companies. While there are a staggering number of (over 200) software packages that promise to deliver lead intelligence and marketing automation, most fall short in one critical area: lead generation.
While it’s possible to automate middle of the funnel leads in attempts to bring them to the bottom of the funnel, it’s vital to acquire new leads – and this is where many software packages fall far short. The best software will do one thing and do it the best: grow your business.
I should warn you: Marketing automation is not a replacement for real people. Nor is it a “one and done” approach to marketing. Once an automated campaign is created, it needs to be monitored and tweaked from time to time.
The results you can achieve from taking a deep dive into these latest construction industry trends can be amazing. At the absolute foundational level, Internet marketing will produce the lowest cost per lead (CPL) than conventional marketing, allowing you to get way ahead of your competitors.
Before you take the dive, become well versed in what the software is going to do for you and the path you are going to follow to become accustomed to using it. At the least, get a demo and make sure the company selling it will give you a walk-through and answer all your questions.
Key take-a-ways from this blog article:
- While people, their needs, and their pain points have not changed, the way they choose to relate to your marketing approaches has.
- Massive ROI can be gained by connecting sales with marketing and automating many processes.
- The two keys to marketing automation are: 1) The software (SaaS) package itself, 2) The people using the software.
- Before you commit, don’t forget that lead acquisition is the driving force behind all marketing.